Simple Past Tense
Simple past tense is used for one complete action at a time before now. The time of action may be in recent times or in the distant past and the period of action is not significant.
- Shivam went to the stadium for playing cricket.
- We saw an action movie last Sunday.
In the simplest term,
जिन वाक्यों अंत में किया , आया, खाया, गया जैसे शब्द आते है, वहाँ Past Indefinite Tense होता है|
Rule = “Subject + 2nd form of verb + object.”
- I wrote article on different topic.
- We went for shopping together.
- They reached cinema hall on time.
- Students enjoyed the sports day.
Rule of How to form Negative of Past Simple Tense
“Subject + did + not + Verb (Ist form) + object.”
You may also use didn’t instead of did not.
Let’s understand with some examples:
- I didn’t listen songs today.
- I did not help him.
- I did not attend the college function.
- I did not cook.
How to ask a question by the Rule of Interrogative
Formula: did + Subject + Verb (Ist form) + object?
Let’s look at examples:
- Did you complete the paper on time?
- Did they enjoy the song?
- Did he go to the mall yesterday?
- Did they watch the movie?
Rule of Interrogative + negative
Formula: did + Subject + not + Verb (Ist form) + object?
Let’s have a glance over examples:
- Did He not eat breakfast?
- Did I not go to the temple?
- Did Seeta not go to the market?
- Did we not play cricket?
Rule of WH family sentences
Formula: W/H word + did + Subject + Verb (Ist form) + object?
Let’s understand with examples:
- When did he come to meet you?
- How did Reena reach there?
- Where did she go for shopping?
Change the verbs in the brackets to the simple past:
- They all (GO)…………
- I never (Imagine)………………you would do it.
- I (Eat)……………two bread in the basket.
- He (take)……………..book from the library.
- I did not (watch)……………..this movie.
- Shalini (cook)………………delicious food yesterday.
Also read Simple Present Tense