Present Simple Tense
The indefinite or simple present is a verb tense with two main uses. We use the present simple tense when an action is still occurring, or when it is regularly (or inadvertently, sometimes referred to as indefinite). Depending on the individual, the present simple tense is constructed using the original form or adding “s” or “es” at the end.
Example: Divyansh goes to the stadium for playing cricket.
Identification: Present indefinite tense is used in two cases:-
- When an action happens at regular interval or daily. In other words, present indefinite tense talks about habitual actions or occurrences.
Example: John practices the piano daily.
Mr Kin travels during the summer vacation.
- Used with sentences that represent universal truth.
In the simplest term, sentences end with “ता है, ती है और ते हैं” are present indefinite tense.
Rules of Present Simple Tense: –
In the simple present, we use root form of verb with plural subject, in another side with the singular subject we use s/es with the root form of verb.
Singular verb: He, She, It, any name.
Plural verb: You, they,we
Rule = “Subject + Verb (Ist form) + s/es + object.”
- “es” is used with verbs such as:
Apply – Applies
Bury – Buries
Copy – Copies
- “es” is used with main verbs such as:
Go – Goes
Do – Does
- “es” is used with main verbs ending “ch”, “sh”, “ss”, X, Z
Teach – Teaches
Brush – Brushes
Assess – Assesses
Buzz – Buzzes
Relax – Relaxes
- He eats breakfast.
- I go to the temple.
- Seeta goes to the market.
- We play cricket.
Rule of How to form Negative of Present Simple Tense
Formula for making a simple present negative is “Subject + do/does + not + Verb (Ist form) + object.” You may also use don’t instead of do not and doesn’t instead of does not.
Let’s understand with some examples:
- He does not eat breakfast.
- I do not go to the temple.
- Seeta does not go to the market.
- We do not play cricket.
How to ask a question by the Rule of Interrogative
Formula: do/does + Subject + Verb (Ist form) + object?
Let’s look at examples:
- Does He eat breakfast?
- Do I go to the temple?
- Does Seeta go to the market?
- Do we play cricket?
Rule of Interrogative + negative
Formula: do/does + Subject + not + Verb (Ist form) + object?
Let’s have a glance over examples:
- Does He not eat breakfast?
- Do I not go to the temple?
- Does Seeta not go to the market?
- Do we not play cricket?
Rule of WH family sentences
Formula: W/H word + do/does + Subject + Verb (Ist form) + object?
Let’s understand with examples:
- When does He eat breakfast?
- Why do I go to the temple?
- How does Seeta go to the market?
- Where do we play cricket?
Some Daily life Examples of present simple tense:-
- I wake up early in the morning.
- Reena usually go on morning walk.
- I don’t take meal after 10 p.m.
- Sachin go to his bed on time.
- Ruby does not go school with me.
- Do you know how to cook?
- Does he not watch big boss?
- When do they come to play?
- How does your sister go to school?
Learn more about what are the 12 types of tenses with example?